Environmental Specialist - Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Colorado State University
Environmental Specialist - Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Position Location - Schofield Barracks, Oahu, HI
Work Location - Position is fully in-office/in-person
Research Professional Position - Yes
Posting Number - 202301994AP
Position Type - Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Classification Title - Prof/Indiv Contrib II
Work Hours/Week - 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range
Colorado State University is not just a workplace; it's a thriving community that's transforming lives and improving the human condition through world-class teaching, research, and service. With a robust benefits package, collaborative atmosphere, commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and focus on work-life balance, CSU is where you can thrive, grow, and make a lasting impact.
• For detailed benefit plan information for eligible employees, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ and https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
• For the total value of CSU benefits in addition to wages, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/total-compensation-calculator/.
• For more information about why Fort Collins is consistently ranked in the top cities to live in, visit https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-community/.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on12/04/2023
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at Colorado State University (CSU). CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DoD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML's contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
An Environmental Specialist position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands (CEMML). This position is located at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Expanded area of responsibility to include Pohakuloa Training Area, Hawaii. The specialist will conduct compliance inspections of existing storage facilities to evaluate compliance with state and federal laws, develop reports detailing compliance inspections and corrective actions to bring facilities into compliance with regulations. Maintain a federal database of storage tank information, determine and recommend requirements for meeting regulatory compliance, including tightness testing, inventory control, cathodic protection testing, dispenser calibration, overfill protection and spill containment, and submit quarterly reports.
Required Job Qualifications
• A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
• Experience supporting environmental programs
• Able to conduct field investigations that may involve climbing ladders and lifting enclosure lids weighing as much as 50 pounds.
• Must have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain a driver's license by the employment start date.
• The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Experience performing compliance inspections of underground storage tanks (USTs)/aboveground storage tanks (ASTs).
• Demonstrated knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to USTs and ASTs, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures (SPCC) plan requirements.
• Work experience planning and executing environmental compliance programs preferably involving management of USTs/ASTs.
• Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Work experience with personal computers and standard office software programs (word processors, spreadsheets, and databases).
• Experience working in highly structured organizations, such as governmental agencies, military, or corporations, with established lines of authority, procedures, and protocols.
Diversity StatementReflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category
• Conduct inspections of storage tanks and facilities to determine compliance status and recommend corrective actions when necessary.
• Identify additional work and cleanup status and acceptance by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Hawaii Department of Health (HDOH) where tanks have been removed.
Percentage Of Time 45
Job Duty CategoryProject management
• Gather data collected to complete compliance reports, closure reports, and management plans.
• Review RECs and PESs and provide recommendations for projects to meet all applicable environmental regulations.
• Summarize monthly work tasks into monthly progress report.
• Review RECs and plans for new construction. Review UST closure reports and provide recommendations and assistance to ensure closure meets requirements.
• Provide PES reports in accordance with Army Regulation (AR) 200-1 and AR 415-15. Execute the AST management aspects of the Army's SPCC program.
• Develop/update the Garrison's SPCC regulated oil filled electrical equipment inventory (which includes site information, tank data, digital photos, and GPS locations).
• Execute the US Army Garrison, Hawaii (USAG-HI) UST program.
• Review and provide recommended improvements or changes of the SPCC Plan's tank management portions annually to ensure compliance with regulations and further assist in the prevention of pollution.
• Provide technical support for petroleum spills and cleanup activities.
Percentage Of Time 45
Job Duty CategoryAdministration
• Submit leave requests/reports and monthly progress reports and track training/certification requirements.
Percentage Of Time 10
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than December 4th, 2023 for full consideration. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1. Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the ‘Cover Letter' slot.
3. References - please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor. References will not be contacted without prior notification to candidates.
4. CSU is committed to full inclusion of qualified individuals. If you are needing assistance or accommodations with the search process, please reach out to the listed search contact.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver's License, Special Requirements/Other - Must be able to comply with all applicable regulations to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC). Furthermore, candidates are required at a minimum to complete a NACI/SF85 and successfully pass a federal background check to remain eligible for employment.
Peter Anzalone, mailto:Peter.Anzalone@colostate.edu
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, mailto:email@example.com.
The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University's Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks for the finalist before a final offer. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4801613
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.