The mission of the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art is to improve the quality of peoples’ lives through the study, understanding and appreciation of Islamic arts and cultures.
Security Officers are primarily responsible for maintaining security of the property, safeguarding its contents, and supervising the personal safety of staff and visitors. They provide welcoming visitor services and interact frequently with co-workers and visitors while ensuring that security and safety policies and procedures are understood and followed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain constant awareness of current conditions and respond to all alarms and emergencies in accordance with written procedures;
- In response to security violations, contact the Security Manager and provide detailed written reports;
- In an emergency, follow procedures and contact appropriate parties (i.e., ambulance, police, fire department and other staff); await their arrival and direct them to the scene of the incident;
- In response to a foreseeable disaster, assist with disaster preparation; also assist with post-disaster response in accordance with written procedures;
- Oversee tours and assist visitors, guides and volunteers with tour program activities, including but not limited to greeting visitors cordially, locating restrooms, etc.;
- Provide assistance for on-site programming (e.g., salons, convening, symposia, etc.) from planning to implementation and breakdown;
- Be able to multi-task and run the security control room which includes operating and monitoring security control panels, closed circuit television, alarms, fire sprinklers, access control, phone and radio communications, and related security and safety equipment to provide property and visitor surveillance;
- Maintain logs and records, including but not limited to shift logs, daily reports, conduct investigations for on campus incidents and injuries and submit complete and concise reports;
- Patrol assigned areas including interiors, exteriors and perimeters; check for suspicious conditions or occurrences as well as safety hazards;
- Inform and enforce operations, security and safety policies, rules and procedures for all buildings, grounds, infrastructure, collections, staff and visitors;
- Serve as a positive, friendly and supportive representative of the DDFIA at Shangri La;
- Assist with grounds, maintenance and housekeeping duties as requested;
- Maintain radio communications with security and other staff;
- Permit authorized personnel and visitors to enter property; direct visitors where to park;
- Issue and control keys;
- Open, secure and close the buildings as scheduled or as authorized by administration;
- Receive incoming and dispense outgoing mail; deliver mail to designated location;
- Other reasonable tasks as requested by management.
- Two+ years of general experience in security, law enforcement, or military police;
- High school degree or equivalent preferred;
- Valid guard license for the State of Hawaii;
- Ability to take direction, learn, understand and implement specific processes and procedures to ensure the security and safety of Shangri La’s staff, visitors, buildings, grounds and collection;
- Ability to use and care for all security-related equipment including computers, closed circuit TV and alarm systems to properly complete security forms and maintain logs and daily reports;
- Ability to use and operate safety and fire prevention equipment;
- Excellent visual attention to detail and ability to observe subtle changes in the physical environment;
- Ability to remain calm and respond immediately to an emergency;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Pleasant, respectful and courteous attitude toward staff and visitors;
- Ability to physically perform duties that require standing, walking and sitting for extended periods of time; traversing the five-acre property with uneven terrain; negotiating flights of stairs; lifting and carrying as much as 50 lb.; navigating property in adverse weather;
- Ability to work varying shifts, hours and days, including special events, holidays and emergency situations;
- Natural inclination to be flexible, honest, responsible, dependable, adaptable and friendly.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
- Competitive hourly rate based on experience – Minimum $15 per hour;
- Medical and dental benefits with limited employee contributions for qualifying employees;
- Extra pay for working holidays;
- 401(k) plan with employer contribution equal to 15 percent of base pay.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your last name followed by “Security Officer” in the subject line. Application reviews will begin July 5, 2021 and continue until position is filled.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and workplace culture. We provide equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law; and we strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.