VANGUARD CENTER OF HPC DATA SCIENTIST I – ID# 221175.
Vanguard Center of High Performance Computing. Regular, Full-Time, RCUH Non-Civil Service position with the Maui High Performance Computing Center (MHPCC), Department of Defense High Performance Computing Modernization Program’s “Vanguard Center for High Performance Computing”, located at the Maui Research and Technology Park (MRTP) in Maui, Hawai‘i. This position will conduct research under the University of Hawai‘i Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) Task Orders. Continuation of employment is dependent upon program/operational needs, satisfactory work performance, availability of funds, and compliance with applicable Federal/State laws.
MONTHLY SALARY: Salary commensurate with qualifications.
- Collaborates with team and collects from web-enabled Consortium databases, providing access to Consortium members.
- Uses mathematics analysis (e.g., machine learning, statistics, model fitting, linear algebra, etc.) as well as established software development procedures to design, develop, and deploy complex scientific and engineering applications in fields such as distributed computing, enterprise level integration, scientific visualization, database management, modeling and simulation, and modern internet-enabled applications.
- Follows standard software life-cycle methodologies for the design, coding, integration, testing, and documentation of new and existing applications.
- Searches through large data sets for usable information and correlates similar data to find actionable results.
- Performs quality assurance on data.
- Participates as a member of a software development team, assisting and mentoring other members as appropriate.
- Analyzes user requirements, utilizes collaborative tools and processes, and participates effectively in design and code reviews.
- Analyzes and interprets empirical data.
- VCHPC network data analysis includes graph analysis, statistical analysis, and machine learning.
- Develops and runs computer models.
- Creates or verifies an application’s hardware specifications requirements to meet the overall system needs, including requirements relating to processing and network throughput as well as data storage.
- Solves problems which typically arise, and provides input for solutions.
- Makes decisions on and implements such solutions.
- Attends coordination meetings, as required, with other groups within the VCHPC.
- Arranges logistics for and participates in monthly Consortium teleconferences.
- Publishes results in peer-reviewed journals, and presents results at scientific meetings.
- Collaborates with the Program Manager or the PI to compile and submit quarterly reports on research activities, publications, and presentations for the entire Consortium.
- Prepares and/or presents technical briefings and papers relating to technical work performed.
- Provides technical support and participates in project-related activities in a variety of scientific and engineering areas.
- Interfaces with customers on a technical level to assess requirements, convey development status, and coordinate related activities, which will involve periodic travel to the continental United States (U.S.), and possibly Japan and Guam.
- Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Works during the Center’s core hours (Monday-Friday (M-F), 8:00am – 5:00pm) and some evenings and weekends, as required.
- This is a progression job beginning with an entry level (Level I). All new hires start at Level I. Through experience, demonstrated competence, and operational needs, may be promoted to a higher level. Availability and ability to perform duties independently is expected to increase with each level of progression.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university in a related technical, scientific, or engineering discipline.
- Progression job with minimum experience requirements for Level I, and combination of experience and demonstrated competence and abilities for Levels I, II, and III. This is a progression job beginning with an entry level (Level I). All new hires start at Level I. Through experience, demonstrated competence, and operational needs, may be promoted to a higher level. Availability and ability to perform duties independently is expected to increase with each level of progression.
- At least two (2) years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Knowledge of general areas of science, engineering, or technology.
- Knowledge of modern software engineering methodologies including object-oriented design and programming, various software life-cycles, and broad-based data structures and algorithms.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen. Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Proficiency in at least one of the following: SQL Language, SQL Technologies (e.g., SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL), Message Brokering (e.g., Rabbit MQ, Kafka), Dashboarding (e.g., Kibana, Spunk), Version Control (e.g., subversion, git, mercurial), Data Science Languages (e.g., Python (+Pandas, scipy, etc.), R, SAS), or Data Interchange (json, xml, protobuf, cap’n proto, msqpack).
- Ability to develop computer programs in a UNIX, LINUX, or Windows environments using a relevant scientific or engineering programming language (e.g., FORTRAN, C/C++, JAVA, etc.).
- Ability to develop systems and programming specifications given high-level requirements.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations and to effectively communicate technical concepts, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare technical documentation and publications including: specifications, application development plans, user manuals, project abstracts, technical description documents, white papers, and technical proposals.
- Ability to accurately estimate application development labor, material, and schedule requirements.
- Ability to work with other scientists, engineers, and computational professionals to develop effective solutions to customer problems under limited supervision.
- Ability to effectively work with direct and indirect lines of authority.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work in a team software process environment, and participate in peer reviews, informal internal reviews, and formal project reviews.
- Post Offer/Employment Condition: Must be able to obtain an interim security clearance within sixty (60) days of hire and must be able to obtain a final security clearance within six (6) months of hire.
- Ability to perform repetitive keyboard entry for twenty to forty (20-40) hours per week.
POLICY AND/OR REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS:
As a condition of employment, employee will be subject to all applicable RCUH policies and procedures and, as applicable, subject to University of Hawai‘i's and/or business entity's policies and procedures. Violation of RCUH's, UH's, or business entity's policies and/or procedures or applicable State or Federal laws and/or regulations may lead to disciplinary action (including, but not limited to possible termination of employment, personal fines, civil and/or criminal penalties, etc.).
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a related technical, scientific, or engineering discipline. Current Top Secret clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) eligibility.
- Skills in accelerated processing unit programming, including but not limited to, Intel PHI and NVidia CUDA.
- Message Passing Interface (MPI) programming experience.
- Experience with mathematical subroutines and libraries.
INQUIRIES: Dr. Robyn Garner 874-1622 (Oahu).
Please apply directly on the RCUH website to be considered for the position.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on “Job Postings.” You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‘i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting. If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808)956-7262 or (808)956-0872.
CLOSING DATE: April 30, 2021.
RCUH’s mission is to support and enhance research, development and training in Hawai‘i, with a focus on the University of Hawai‘i.
Equal Opportunities Employer – Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran.